Saturday, July 10, 2010

One More Month

One more month til the trip of my lifetime....so far. Seven million people in the globally advanced city of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia are waiting for me. Despite news from gossip sites calling Kuala Lumpur the "tranny capital of the world," I'm still excited about the opportunity to take this internship and spend a good amount of time immersed in another culture. Talking to different people who have been to, heard about, or have family in Malaysia, I think it will be great. Obviously it will be different in many ways. I'll stick out like a sore thumb becuz I'm black and I'm probably about a foot and a half taller than everyone else there. There's no real winter time, it'll be between 70 and 86 degrees pretty much all year; but it will be more humid than I'm used to tho. I'll have to operate in the midst of monsoon season for a lot of the year too. I'll have a British co-worker who I'm expecting many cultural arguments with. As heart-breaking as it may be, I don't expect to see much booty or hamstrings on the women I see when I go out on the town; which might not even matter becuz I have no idea what kinda music I'll have to dance to. I may have to train my taste buds for the hottest food I've ever really had to endure. There may be many customs or practices that I'll have to learn that could seem very weird. I'm not sure if I'll have my usual preference of a Wal-Mart, Best Buy, liquor store, grocery store, and a movie theater all being at easy access. But this is one of those points in life where stepping out of your comfort zone helps you to grow up, so I'm game for whatever. Hopefully this will be a wonderfully eventful chapter in my life story. And as for the tranneys, I'll have to make the Adam's Apple check and hood-club style frisk down part of my usual routine when I encounter women. Whether they get offended or not, I need to know...even before we begin casual conversation at the bar. Judgemental of Me?? Whatever, I've Been Called Worse...

No comments:

Post a Comment