Monday, January 7, 2013

Ray Lewis: The end of an unprecedented reign of MLB

First and foremost, isn't that an ill picture of Ray Lewis? The intensity, the muscles, the grass in his hand, the pyrotechnics in the background. It looks like introduction of the heavyweight champion in the glory days of the WWF (before this WWE business). In a way, that's precisely what it is. Ray Lewis IS Middle Linebacker, no. Ray Lewis IS defense, no. Ray Lewis IS football. He's the immovable object waiting for you. He's that big bad motherfucker who you spent all week preparing for nothing because he's still bringing you the pain all day Sunday. He's brought intensity, athleticism, instinct, and intimidation to the highest level of defensive play for 17 years. SEVENTEEN FUCKING YEARS!! That's like an oximoron when you're talking about Middle Linebacker. Along with running back, it's one of those positions that features so much hitting and punishment that a decade is plenty to call a good career at the position. Ray's played twice as long as Dick Butkus, 50% longer than Mike Singletary, Jack Lambert and so many more of the greats. All this while playing at an elite level (no offense, London Fletcher) in an age featuring the biggest, fastest, strongest, and most skilled players we've ever seen; Ray Nitschke and Chuck Bednarik would need some HGH to bang with these boys. Many of his predecessors even admit that (find a recent "Greatest Linebacker of All Time" list he's not on top of). He epitomizes being the heart and soul of a franchise. He's been the driving force of a Ravens defense that's been historically dominant since it won a SuperBowl back before the arrival of all-Worlds Terrell Suggs and Ed Reed (Tony Siragusa, anyone?). He was SuperBowl MVP despite the slander of his name after getting in potentially disastrous trouble soon before. That trouble now seems like a lifetime ago as he's been a model leader, teammate, and off-field humanitarian ever since. Who doesn't wanna play on a team with Ray Lewis? The only reason he doesn't have a fist full of rings is the team's perpetual unsuccessful search for a true franchise QB; he got Trent Dilfer a Super Bowl ring as a parting gift before he got cut that offseason for his subpar play. He's the Shaq of my generation's football fandom; no disrespect to Wilt Chamberlain (or in this case Nitschke, Bednarik, Butkus, even LT) but like Shaq in his prime, Ray Lewis is the most dominant force I've set eyes in this position. I guess I knew he had to retire some day - even if I was denying it to myself - and honestly I'm thankful that he told us up front that it would be at the end of this year. It was appropriate that his last game at home, Sunday's shellacking of the Colts (poor Andrew Luck, no worries you have time), began and ended with Ray's signature dance, filled with stellar defense play in the middle. Even if it ends as soon as next week in Denver (don't get me started on Peyton's greatness), I'm thankful I was able to witness such an illustrious run from the best to ever do it at MLB. I'll defend my position calling him the G.O.A.T. to anybody, anytime. He made me root for the Ravens when my teams weren't involved. Hell, he had me watching linebacker play when it was so easy to just be focused on offense. I doubt I'll ever lay eyes on another Ray Lewis in my generation. See you in Canton in five years #52.

No comments:

Post a Comment