Friday, December 11, 2009

A Step Forward for College Football

I commented recently in my facebook status that I was somewhat confused about how the NFL (with 32 teams) had as many Black head coaches (7) as the NCAA, which has 120 teams? And only one in the 65 school in BCS conferences. Be reminded, the NFL is the highest level of football in the world. We've seen coaches fail in the NFL and prevail in the NCAA; we've never seen it the other way. So how is it that Blacks are "qualified" or more appropriately "given a chance" in the NFL but not College Football. I'm a big football fan so I hear all these Black coordinators that have been prime head coach candidates for years getting passed up for young white coaches with no head coaching, and in some cases no coordinator experience. So in the week or two since I posted it, there have been 4 Black head coaches hired in reputable conferences. And Pat Forde, a white sports reporter in his 40s, wrote an article entitled "College Football Finally Joins 21st Century with Coaching Hires" in which he says From Louisville to "Charlottesville to Memphis and beyond, this may be the winter when college football drags itself out of the plantation era and joins the 21st century. One year removed from eradicating 75 percent of the African-American head coaches from the "big six" conferences, the sport is improving its diversity." Somebody heard me, I'm excited. Golf clap for the NCAA rising above the racism so abundant in many groups of alums and boosters and hiring deserving Black candidates. I tip my hat to you.

Here is the link for the Article: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=4730681

One chick called me racist for highlighting race as a consideration in how people are hired. I felt like saying "Bitch, I'm considerate, not stupid. I know employers see that I'm Black when I come through their door for an interview." But maybe I am a little racist for wanting to see Black coaches succeed. Fuck it, I've Been Called Worse...

No comments:

Post a Comment