Thursday, May 13, 2010

Graduation, My Mother's Day Gift

May 8th, 2010...A day that will live in infamy. I graduated from Georgia Tech, one of the most rigorous schools in the world, with a Building Construction Degree from the College of Architecture. This means I (and my homeboys pictured below) beat the odds as a young black man in America (every major research source has validated the fact that recently more Black men had been to jail that college, our graduation rates are some 20% lower than white males and substantially lower than Black and White women also), beat the odds at Tech (53% retention rate for Black males), given myself a significantly higher chance at leading a financially successful life, made everyone who's ever done anything for me or had a hand in my upbringing proud, and MOST IMPORTANTLY, given my mother the Mother's Day gift that she asked me for. It was a gratifying feeling. I'm gonna take some time to reflect on my full feeling about the end of my college career, beginning of the "rest of my life" and the quickly approaching end of my collegiate sports career. There will be a blog upcoming about a college experience in the rear view mirror.



As the name "I've Been Called Worse" insinuates I've been called a lot of things, some which I am, many that I am not, but not u have no choice but to call me a Georgia Tech/College..... Graduate.

No comments:

Post a Comment