Monday, October 1, 2012

Are u serious: Dumbest Money Management I've Ever Heard

I often use the phrase "the dumbest shit I've ever heard" usually for emphasis rather than truly believing it's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. But (**turns on Katt Williams voice**) "this shit here nigga" actually may be the dumbest thought process about managing money that I've ever heard. My brother works with two young women, one about 24 and the other 22 I think. Each is said to have the same problem, frivolous spending...or in my analytic point of view, the lack of proper self control that an adult needs to stop themselves from spending frivolously. I don't know their names, so even though they are both young Black women, they will be referred to by names I believe Dumb Blondes would have for the purpose of this blog entry. So the first, Cindy Lou, is 24 years old and despite having a decent paying job with career possibility, she didn't feel she was getting paid enough. So she takes it upon herself to get another job as a waitress at a bar. Young lady, sees a problem takes action, sounds like a cool chick, I like her at this point...until the story goes sideways. Well, once she gets the side job, she finds that she is spending too frivolously on clothes and shoes...despite that fact that between her two jobs she never has time to go anywhere. So what would I do at this cross roads I wonder? I'd likely try to increase the amount of money I'm actively saving (extra savings account, start an IRA, high yield, or something) or make a list of meaningful items that I need to buy and make a plan to use the extra money to get those. Everyone doesn't think like me, so maybe the better answer for her is something like dropping the side job (which eliminates some of the extra cash while giving her back some of her social life), right? Wrong. Blonde Cindy decides that she needs another LARGE BILL to eat up her extra expendable cash. So she buys a new car....WTF??? Let's analyze this. She has now in effect locked herself into having two jobs (negating her social life and ensuring her erratic sleep schedule) because it's the only way she can afford her bills and newly acquired car. If she does want to shop for shoes/clothes or take a trip or anything else that may require a large amount of cash at one time, she probably can't because she consciously decided that she is going to swallow up all of her expendable cash. She is likely one of those women who is attractive, has a good job, now drives a nice car, and can't figure out why she doesn't have a quality man; she may claim there aren't any (and I know that there are a lot of "ain't shit" dudes around). As a quality man myself, I'd like to sit her down, put my hand on her shoulder and say "Baby, although u seem like a great catch, ur though process is ridiculous, I'd guess that it's not just limited to money management. This may make you seem toxic and/or too unstable/unpredictable to be true wifey material." It's a lot more polite than what ran through my mind when I first heard this story. So, what? If we were serious and we're taking trips and stuff, I just have to pay for everything for "us" because you've decided that every penny you make will be dedicated to "you"? You working two jobs to not have any extra spending money for anything? And for this reason, I only get to see you once a week or something because your schedule is crazy? I don't play that shit. But this is just the tip of the iceberg, take a moment and try to think of what could make less logical sense that Cindy Lou's idea of managing her spending. Over here behind door #2, Tammy Lynn takes that train of thought to a new level. Tammy Lynn has the same spending issue as Cindy did. It was never explained to me if these two formulated the plans together or what. She decides that not only does she need a new car, but she's going to lease a luxury vehicle, something that should cost her about $700-800 a month to help 'relieve her' of this extra cash that tends to be spent on clubbing, shopping, etc. Here's the kicker, Tammy Lynn (who is about 22) still lives with her parents. Let that marinate a moment...***Elevator music***...Yeah. No wonder she has all this expendable cash, she has a career path job living at home with her parents. So instead of getting her own spot, she's determined to make herself strapped for cash in her parents house. How the hell are you ever gonna make it out of your parents house if you've consciously decided not to save any money? You expect some dude to date you for a little big and then turn Captain Save-A-Hoe like "Don't Worry, Keep ur luxury car, I'll pay for everything"? It baffles me how a fully functioning mind can come to this conclusion as the best solution to a problem. Face the truth, the problem is not that you have this extra money, the problem is that you have no self-control and dont' bother planning and doing something constructive with that money. Get yourselves together ladies. You're making your gender, your race, your family, and everyone else look bad right now. SMH.

No comments:

Post a Comment