Friday, December 27, 2013

Stop Me When I Start Lying: Did This Fucker Say Affluenza????

Yeah, you correctly read the picture above. A 16-year old rich kid got behind the wheel of a car drunk and ended up killing for people in Texas. What's his punishment you ask? Well, he's getting rehab and therapy because the judge bought that he had 'affluenza' meaning his parents are so wealthy and privileged that he couldn't be expected to know right from wrong....Are you fucking kidding me? U're telling me that professional experts are taking the witness stand and insisting that affluenza is a defense to keep killers out of prison? I thought the legal system claimed to enforce the law period rather than trying to psycho-analyze why the defendant doesn't know right from wrong. Where was this case for kids whose poor parents were working too much to teach their kids right from wrong? Or kids raising themselves because their parents weren't worth a damn? Is there such thing as poor-fluenza? How about Black-fluenza? This may be the most asinine modern legal ruling I've heard of in decades. I've contended for some time now that in the post-segregation era, money and social status serve as more of enabler or obstruction than race; this is another example. No matter how the judge justifies her decision, what will be taken away from this case for future legal precedent is that "affluenza" is a viable defense if the defendant is rich enough to qualify. That scares me. Like society needs another highly publicized example of how kids born with a silver spoon in their mouths can do whatever they want with whatever punishment their parents can afford (in this case, dad pays for $450K rehab sessions) while lower or even middle class Americans would have been looking at jail time, at least some. So judge, what you actually did by succumbing to the ridiculous 'affluenza' defense was you made the "condition" worse and allowed it to become ingrained in legal precedent going forward. I don't even know you, but I hate your guts. But you probably don't care about my opinion because I'm not rich enough anyway. Stop Me When I Start Lying...

No comments:

Post a Comment