Monday, April 28, 2014

My Complicated Progressive Christianity

DISCLAIMER: Orthodox Christians, read at your own risk, my perspectives might strike you as blasphemous and piss you off.


I recently watched the movie "God's Not Dead", in which a college freshman is forced to philosophically battle his Atheist professor about whether God exists or not with his grade on the line; it's a very good, I'd recommend it. I was proud to see that it was based on actual debates at US schools including Georgia Tech, my alma mater. It got me thinking about my faith. I'm a proud Christian and I try to thank God ever morning that I'm lucky enough to wake up. However, as I get older, I'm very aware of how complicated some of my stances are; maybe more complicated than orthodox Christians would tolerate. I'm acutely aware that, as the movie character learned, proving what you believe is not easy. It doesn't waiver my belief at all, I would try to explain rather than denying my Lord and Savior; I believe that stance would hold up even in dire circumstances. But it makes some things harder to explain to non-believers. After all, many atheists study the Bible intensely seeking to disprove it; unfortunately I don't know it as well as I should. My progressive and tolerant attitude towards the world puts me at odds with many things that orthodox Christian use the religion to condemn or alienate. The Bible is full of testimonies, events, and lessons that help followers follow a path towards living life "right". My core system of values stems from my faith. But at the same time, I can't ignore that this was also written thousands of years ago my men trying to document the words/actions of the divine; by flawed men. I have a hard time taking everything in its text word for word. For instance, my perspective on gay marriage/civil unions infuriates people. If someone was raised in a traditional and Christian home, tried to lead a heterosexual life, and realized that they just weren't attracted to the other sex on a hormonal level, I'm not gonna knock them. If they want to live a committed monogamous lifestyle, they should get the same benefits (insurance, etc.) as a traditional marriage in my opinion. Thousands of years ago, science did not understand hormones; homosexuality would get you thrown out of your family or even killed if found out. So ppl hid it and faked a regular life; some still do. I went to school in Atlanta, where there's been a large "down low" population, who are faking normal lifestyles and cheating with the same sex on the side; I don't how forcing that situation in the name of religion is better. Furthermore, I have a hard time taking relationship advice directly from the Bible. From reading history, teenagers were forced into strategical arranged marriages to unite compatible families just hundreds of years ago or less. What were marriages like in Bible times? I have a hard time believing that someone enduring that relationship dynamic would provide any useful information for my current dating situations. I don't believe that science and faith are enemies as many would argue. I can see how the two can mesh to provide a more full view of the truth; after all neither one answers every question. Just because the Big Bang Theory is popular doesn't mean it sounds entirely believable to me. Or the thought that in a relatively short amount of time geologically, all being evolved into so many species from the same single-cell organism but then slowed down enough that humans aren't splintering into different strains nowadays. And these theories are supposed "scientifically" viable. I don't have an issue with other religions, I don't see it as an adversarial relationship that many do. To me, the act of believing in a divine power is more important than the particulars that you believe. I'm a proud Christian, but I can get along with other faiths. After all, I lived in a Muslim country for years, but found a Christian church there. Now, I have work to do with my faith. I'm ashamed to say I've been very inconsistent in making it out of bed and into the Church for terrible reasons; sometimes I've blown too much money and I don't have that 10% and I don't want to enter the Lord's house empty handed. Don't judge me, I told you I'm ashamed, but it's happened. I'm a work in progress, but I want the progress. As Black Thought from The Roots once rhymed "the devil wants me as is, but God, he wants more." I'm now with somebody who is on the same page as me about the need for faith in the life we hope to share. There is some sinning that I do that to be honest, I don't see much chance of stopping cold turkey; something else that wouldn't sit well with many in my religion. But I'm being honest, 2014 life and the Christian life as laid out by the Bible interact in a very curious way. But life has the task of navigating that. Just don't LOSE God altogether when you're trying to make it through the rough parts of figuring out life. I've lived a liberal lifestyle and probably got too far away at times. I've got work to do to get where I want to me. And I admit my logical overthinking ways and liberal spirit may have overcomplicated by Christianity. But I've never stopped wanting God in my life and never stopped wanting to make God proud. Judge me by that, not the details. It's complicated...

No comments:

Post a Comment