Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Movies are Back

My week of minimal work before I get another large chunk of Senior Design project work was largely spent watching movies, new and old. "The Book of Eli", "Scarface", "Legion", "The Godfather", "From Paris with Love", etc. I'm good at enjoying deep movies that other people seem disappointed by and this happened again with "The Book of Eli." My differing opinion made me realize something about the way movies are made now that I love. Some movies require a lot more thought, and even more to my liking, they've become darker. Movies started to bore me with the basic "Bad guy kills regular people, especially someone the good guy knows. Then the good guy goes to find and kill the bad guy" plot; it got stale. Especially at about $10 a pop. But there's more conflicted morality involved now. Good guys are about 65% good to 35% bad and the villains are vice versa. Rather than one clearly being good or bad, they're usually only about as different as politicians with differing opinions. It's not hard at all to agree with both sides. Heroes can be vigilante criminals ("Dark Knight"), an angel killed out of heaven ("Legion"), dishonest pirates (Captain Jack Sparrow), and even the head of the corporation that becomes the main villain ("Iron Man"). And villains can be the government ("Shooter"), a major religion ("Angels & Demons"), a recently changed hero ("Dark Knight") and even mankind itself ("Avatar"). Movies can shine a light on the moral ills of mankind such as our environmental effect on the planet ("the Day the Earth Stood Still"), selfishness and self-preservation in the face of extinction ("2012"), or the possible misuse of wealth, resources, and religion if modern society were reset ("The Book of Eli"). This new element of darkness has even resurrected the superhero, video game, and remake movie genres. I had given up for dead after the predictability and corniness of previous Superman and Batman movies (George Clooney fighting the Governator & Uma Thurman?? awful), Super Mario movies (ugh, no comment), and countless forgettable others. But now I can't wait for the sequel to "The Dark Knight", "Prince of Persia", and "Robin Hood." "The Dark Knight"'s director is soon to pick my mind with the complexity of the movie "Inception" which will come out soon. I love the classic but I also like to be enlightened, entertained, thrust into thought, and thrown for a loop in theaters a little bit. It seems like I'll be happy for a while to come. Just keep anything "Twilight" away from me and I'm good. The Movies are Back...

No comments:

Post a Comment