Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Things I See At Tech

As I look back at my quickly fading college experience I think about the interesting things I've seen in my experiences at a big white school; I'd assume much different from the things I would've seen at the HBCU I almost went to instead. Just in the last two weeks, I've seen all kinds of buffoonery, inconsiderateness, terrible judgement, and overall nerdiness that I have encountered. Here is a peak into the life of a Tech student over the past two weeks (and no, I didn't make any of this up):
  • A fellow student, a white guy about my age with a Cast Away beard and his signature Indiana Jones hat and outfit, randomly rolled up on me and started a conversation about how he’s lost faith in humanity because they aren’t enough people who want to kill Barney. Yea, Barney. And you think I give a shit??
  • A chubby nerdy girl wearing a huge book bag apparently took it as a personal challenge to outrun the bus as it approached; this prompted the driver to send us all flying forward when he mashed the brakes. One of the many inconsiderate bastards that has turned me against pedestrians and bikers at this school. Value ur life bitch…
  • The epic “Humans VS. Zombies” game where the nerds have formed gangs and have a huge interspecies game of catch/tag took on a new aspect because of the 5”-6” of snow that covered the city lately. I really thought these guys were gonna come to blows a few times
  • My senior project group mate explained to me the differences in equipment needed to hunt for several different kinds of animals – chokes, calibers, traps, calls, colors, etc.
  • And last, but certainly not least…A student came unto campus with a samurai sword and used it to stab not only his target (either over fellowship funding or a woman issue) but also to stab the first policeman to try to arrest him. How do u roll up on someone with a big ass samurai sword undetected? I don’t know
  • I’ve seen multiple ditsy looking chicks driving the wrong way down one-way one lane streets in big vehicles and act as if those people going the right way are annoying them by trying to get by
  • A drunk chick, who claimed she was the newly crowned world champion in step/toe dancing, tried to teach me and my friends a toe dance called Squashing the Beetle
  • I carried a chick up the stairs who was physically unable in her inebriated state and heard an answer I've never heard before in the name exchanging process: "I'm...I don't even remember"; especially odd as she asked me my name first.
  • At their request, I taught some of my more rhythm-challenged teammates popular dances such as the Jerk and the Spongebob; which they haven't stopped trying since the minute they learned
These are just a microcosm of my 5 year experience here at Tech. I've learned much good and bad about my White, Indian, and Oriental Asian counterparts to go along with the good and bad I already knew about my belove Black population. It's been a wild ride here and the everyday occurrences among the typical nerds and Techies have made the experience more...colorful. As weird as some of the experiences have been, I think I'll miss them when they're gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment