Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Do Better: Ghetto Obama Tributes

This is the first of a series called "Do Better" dedicated to highlighting things that embody negative stereotypes about the Black community and we just need to rise above and conduct ourselves better than. Today's session is about Obama tributes. I was just excited as everyone else when Obama, our first Black (well half) President was elected. It was a tremendous symbol of progress and desire for change. However, since that time, I have seen many tributes, many by people who I honestly believe don't know his politics and may not have showed up to the polls to vote for him, that despite their creativity have a distinctly ghetto aura. Although I appreciate the admiration and support, he deserves better. Let's get to it...

Exhibit A, matching Michelle and Barack nail jobs. Although it is a display of talent and most likely a masterpiece for the Korean woman (racist, I know) in the nail salon that performed it, especially the curly pinky nail, this was probably immediately a Facebook profile picture and was the highlight of someone's week. I do not believe in an Obama tribute if you can not go to a respectable job and perform any meaningful tasks for fear of messing it up. Do Better...

Exhibit B, Obama Fried Chicken Franchise. In a NYC neighborhood where you would probably find restaurants such as Tony's NY Style Pizza or similar names, here stand a chicken spot named as if Barack himself is in the back manning Fryer 3 to make the best fried chicken in the area. This is probably a Black owned business and the owners probably worked hard to open this venue; they deserve their own names on their establishment and I doubt this act would touch Obama deep down in his soul if he saw it. White people already cling to the stereotype (unfortunately very true) that Black people go crazy for fried chicken. I do not condone them seeing any images putting the president and this stereotypical vision together. Do Better...

Exhibit C, a chest tattoo of Obama on a $100 bill. I cringe when I think about how much this guy probably paid for this tattoo. Once again, I commend him for his creativity and not going to the parlor and picking some over-used design from the cliche tattoo book ("Only God Can Judge Me", etc). However, this seemed like more of an attempt to have the most innovative tattoo around more than an actual act of homage to our new national leader. When he goes to the local smoke-filled club and takes his shirt off to the smooth lyrics of Gucci Mane and OJ Da Juiceman, it probably catches the attention of every loose woman in eyeshot boosting his ego. However, as the picture says, I doubt Obama would approve of this tattoo. Do Better...

Exhibit D, Obama Haircuts Complete with colored dye and all. Once again, this is a tremendous display of hair cutting talent and I have no problem admitting that. However, once again, I believe this was meant more as an opportunity to show up the other kids at school who thought they were special with the tapered fro-hawk and side scalp designs. It probably worked and thoroughly impressed the chick sitting behind them in science class. However, I need proof that they are familiar with the man's politics before I can give them credit for a display of admiration which will only last a few weeks. Until such proof has been brought forward, Do Better...

Exhibit E, Obama graffiti complete with four finger ring and Jordan jersey. Let me start by saying that I am a personal admirer of artistic graffiti and therefore completely admire the talent required for this mural. However, a four-finger ring?? Who is he Radio Raheem from Spike Lee's "Do the Right Thing"? Does he roll with Big Daddy Kane or those guys from Morehouse who are trying to bring all the styles from the '80s back? I don't feel it's a good look for the president. And a Jordan jersey? I see the Chicago connection and admiration for both as huge figures to the area. However, no athlete, no matter how great should warrant THE PRESIDENT needing to wear their jersey. It would probably be more appropriate to show Jordan wearing an Obama t-shirt to display his admiration. So, despite the fact that I'd like to meet the artist and see more of his work, he might need to leave Obama out of it unless he gives a more thoughtful tribute. Do Better...Exhibit F, a snow bunny (racist, I know) wearing an "Obama for yo' Mama" t-shirt. I'm not sure exactly what to think about this shirt. I know white people enjoy simple t-shirts with witty phrases; the "Jesus is my homeboy" movement. And this may not have been intended with any disrespect toward the man. However, just as I believe Jesus does, I feel like Obama deserves a little more. Make a tribute into a tribute rather than a gimmicky (yet catchy) t-shirt gag. Do Better Blanquita...

STOP STARING AND THE BREASTS AND LOOK AT THE LEFT THIGH SO I CAN BEGIN THIS DISCUSSION. I am not giving this an exhibit letter because this was chosen for a different reason, I rather like this tribute and thought it was worth honoring for a few reasons. First, it is artistically painted on a beautiful naked Brazilian woman leading the parade at one of the best events in the world, Carnivale. DUHH!!! But beyond the obvious, seeing a display like this at the forefront of a huge international event, it displays the global respect for Obama and the acknowledgment of an opportunity to change US routines that have turned much of the world against us. It is a beautiful symbol of hope displays from another continent. Plus, I envy the artist.

All-in-all the exhibits display a tendency the Black community, which I love with all my heart and also hate with a passion simultaneously, to use an national highly covered issue, such as a Black President or the death of Michael Jackson, as an excuse to make tributes in ways that perpetuate stereotypes of us being ghetto or expending time and money on flashy, temporary attention catchers (I certainly hope I don't see Obama rims on cars). Although I don't believe the intentions to be detrimental in these exhibits, I think they need to step the game up just a little bit more to make it appropriate and something they can truly be proud of.
So, I commend the creativity and appreciate the admiration. But, Do Better...

2 comments:

  1. Ok...I'm w/you, I've seen some other ridiculous Obama tributes...until I see the naked body-painted Brazilian Lady...REALLY?!?! We ALL know, had you not directed the attention to her thigh (why not put the art on her stomach which is closer to natural eye-level for the viewer and provides a sufficient flat canvas of sorts) nobody would even notice the Obama art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol, i will not bash the carnivale chick under any circumstances, we need more tributes like that. dont front i saw you in nov. of last year with that haircut. creativity at its best and worse

    ReplyDelete